Tuesday, December 21, 2004

People Don't Know What the ACLU Does

Here is what the ACLU does:

ACLU link.

Yet my wingnut friend (who, honest to God, is just fine in person) says, "I thought the ACLU only attacked schools that had manger scenes."

I'm a public school teacher, yet I must confess that my friend is a shining example of the failure of the American public school system. If you want to argue that the public school system works well, I present Exhibit A to refute your claim. You can argue that most public schools are effective, but then I merely point to the POTUS and his All Children Left Behind "policy."

In any case, since we are stuck with incorrect beliefs about the ACLU, a question arises. In short, how can its image be recreated such that it is viewed as the beacon of freedom that it is? It seems to me that it will take a lot of time--a generation, perhaps--to get this done. Where to start?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the aclu is out to destroy christianity and you know that. why not retreat to iraq and complain about the issues

December 1, 2005 at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home